Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Therefore we are surrounded by such a cloud of witnesses...



This is the beginning of Hebrews 12. "let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

I was in such a group of witnesses today! At our church there is a core of couples/ladies who have been such an encouragement to me. They were some of the first to welcome us and put themselves out to meet us. In this picture Marge, Pat, LelaAnn, and Ann were part of them.

Marge and her husband were from ND and with a name like Backman, it was easy to realize that we knew many of their relatives. Ray and Marge have become very special to both Steve and I.

Pat was in one of my Bible studies and it was good to get to know her on that kind of a level. No matter how old you are in age and in the Lord, you continue to have struggles but it is the faith that comes from God that allows us to overcome those struggles.

LelaAnn (not sure that is how you spell it, sorry) and Ann always have a hug for us. LelaAnn has a wonderful...giggle...laugh. It's not loud, but it is something that bubbles from the deep. Pat and LelaAnn just went on a mission trip last year and are talking of another trip. Ann was born in England and I could listen to her accent for she has not lost that lovely English accent. I love both of these ladies.

Avalea, Mary, Helen, and Alta Ruth made up the rest of the group this morning.

Avalea is Mary's daughter-in-law and she brought Mary(another ND girl). Mary wasn't sure she could come but decided that she would try. It was the first time she had been out since October 20. I have missed her in church. She has shown me courage and her reliance on the Lord.

Helen, you know, I just love her and fret when I haven't seen her in church. she drives her truck to church...Her Spirit is so amazing, I consider it a joy to be around her.

Alta Ruth shows me joy in all circumstances. She has been an inspiration to me in loving your mate and for that I thank her.

All of these ladies have had an impact in my life. Their love for the Lord is evident and how I praise my Father for placing me where He has so that each of them can show me what aging with grace is all about.

Part of our conversations today: Praise for an orphanage in Haiti that has water. Mission trips and the things that they have seen, especially the shock of poverty in America. Our church and the missions that they are involved in. These are prayer warriors but they also respond to the needs of one another and to the world. These ladies have run the race marked out before them and have fixed their eyes on Jesus. They have modeled it for so many. What a remarkable group of witnesses sat around my table this morning.

Father, Thank you for these saints that you have given me. Allow them to feel the warmth and presence of your Spirit in their lives. Thank you for allowing me the awesome privilege to get to know them. In your precious name, AMEN.

These ladies rank a top spot in "My Favorite 'Things'" List!!!


















No comments: