Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A perfect picture of submission...

In 1985, my dad was in the nursing home through the Christmas season. I wanted to get him something, knowing that he would either not open it or that he would not keep it for long. He was dying. I wasn't wishing that he would live longer because he had had a stroke and during that time was responding very little. I had been called to the nursing home several times by the nursing staff to tell me that he wasn't going to make it through Thanksgiving and then through Christmas.
On January 1, 1986, my dad died. I didn't have any regrets. I had had 8 months to say everything that I had wanted to say. But that Christmas, I wanted to give him something...determined would be a better word even though my family and friends reminded me that he may not open it that Christmas.
I remember when I saw Santa bowing at the manger. I don't think that I had seen one before that day. In my heart I knew that this was what I wanted to give my dad. I would be able to tell him again of the glorious story of Christ...his birth and his resurrection. To remind him that because of Jesus and what He had done on the cross we were able to spend eternity with Him. Dad couldn't pray out loud because the stroke had taken his ability to speak. Weeks earlier, I had shared the plan of salvation in a clear way. I don't know what his response is but I believe that my dad was ready to meet Him on the first day of 1986.
This isn't a sad story for me to share. Because of this "gift" that I gave my dad, I am blessed each year as I open it. It doesn't remind me of his death alone, but pictures flood my mind of me when I was a child, as I grew up, the words of wisdom that he gave me over the years, the way he loved our girls, Christmases, holidays, his smirk...oh there are just so many memories that this figurine brings up.
And then there is the obvious reflection. Santa seems to be everywhere, but it is the birth of Jesus that we celebrate. It is at His manger that each of us must bow.
And that makes this reminder of the true meaning of Christmas...for today, my favorite thing...



No comments: