Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bonnie is almost 50 years old!!!!


Bonnie Braids that is! At first there was a question in my mind how come I wanted to have a Bonnie Braids doll for Christmas when I was in 3rd grade. Then this summer I was looking through pictures before our family reunion. I found this picture and everything became clear.

Obviously, I had a Bonnie Braids doll when I was little and she must have been lost or hurt...that part I don't remember. But before the picture, I didn't realize that I had this doll before.

So...let's start with...I lost the doll. For Christmas, I asked Santa for a Bonnie Braids Doll. I was in 3rd grade and I was sure that Santa was real, even though some of my "friends" told me that there was no such thing as Santa...I was sure.

Well, my mom told me that Santa might not have a Bonnie Braids doll and I may not get one for Christmas. I informed her that, Yes, Santa would give me that doll and if he didn't have one, he would have his elves make one for me.

Years later I heard the whole story. My mom looked everywhere for a Bonnie Braids doll and there was none to be had (this was WAY before EBAY). She had looked in every store and had friends and relatives on the alert for a Bonnie Braids doll. She was at her wits end when she walked into a store and there, sitting on the counter behind the clerk, was a Bonnie Braids doll. She was so excited. She told the clerk, "I'll take that doll."

The clerk looked at her and informed her that there was someone who had asked that the doll be held for them. That's when mom burst out in tears and said, "how long do you have to hold it?" the clerk told her what time the other customer was returning. My mom stood by the counter with tears streaming down her cheeks. I don't think that the clerk waited the full time...and my mom came home with Bonnie Braids that year.
Christmas eve came and Bonnie was under the tree along with a note written by Santa. I can still remember the gist of the note that was attached to Bonnie:
Linda, The elves made this doll special just for you. I hope you like her. Santa
What I also remember is taking that note to the sceptics at my school and showing them the note that I got from Santa. I was going to show them that theydidn't know what they were talking about. I was a believer for another year.
Even today, Bonnie is precious, and maybe it is because I can picture my mom, standing at a counter, in a store, looking at a doll that she knew would make her little girl very happy...with tears streaming down her cheeks. I don't think that she could ever tell that story without the tears.
Bonnie isn't a cute doll, but she is one of my favorite things...
PS...http://www.goldenrosedolls.com/bonniebraids.htm tells a lot more about my Bonnie Braids that I didn't know...she was Dick Tracy's baby AND she was made during 1951-1953, so finding Bonnie in 1958...mom should have cried!!!!

1 comment:

Tengesdal 4 said...

i love this story and I love you! These posts are so fun this week :)All the memories make me feel like I'm visiting you! :)