Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Have you ever felt completely overwhelmed....



Tonight we had our monthly Refuge (communion) service. Because it is the communion service right before Easter, it was communion and we had our yearly foot washing services.

Tonight, Steve was on call so he wasn't able to come with me. As I sat there alone, I realized just how much I missed him when he isn't with me. Then, after the service, I called our girls and they didn't answer. I felt overwhelmed.

I was thinking of all of the gifts that God has given me. I was emotionally overwhelmed. By the time Jane called me back, I was crying. She asked...what's wrong? I said I didn't know but then I realized that I do know why I was overwhelmed...

Easter is only a little over a week away. Jane will be with us which is so exciting for me (us) that she will be here. Then, today, my sister and I made plans to get together in Seattle the week after Easter. Before I went to communion, I wrote Steve a letter...what I would have said had I been able to wash his feet tonight...but that wasn't why I was overwhelmed...

Easter... the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. But before that wonderful event comes other things happen. Jesus and his disciples went to the upper room and Jesus celebrated Passover with them. Jesus became a servant as the God of creation put a towel around His waist and washed His disciples' feet. That is overwhelming....

Easter...the God who holds the universe together, goes to a garden to pray. He couldn't even have His friends stay awake with Him. He prayed and into the garden comes one of His friends. That friend, who had spent time with Him, walked over to Jesus and kissed Him. A group of Roman soldiers came to arrest the Sovereign God and take Him before those who would judge Him to be innocent but still sentence Him to death on a cross. That is overwhelming....

Before the cross, there is the mocking, the beatings, the pain, and the agony of knowing that His Father would not be able to even look upon Him because He would take the sin of the world on Himself ~ for me...


He would see another friend of His...a dear friend, one who walked on water, one who swore allegiance to Him just hours before...this friend denied even knowing Him...3 times...


Then there is the death, the agonizing death on the cross. He died that day because He loved. He loved me. He loved you. He died for me. He died for you. Because He loves me so much. I accepted that gift years ago. Years ago when I was not a person that was good. I was a person who was living a life that embarrasses me now to even think of my behavior. He took that person that I was and transformed me and He continues to love me. That is why I was crying tonight...that is what is overwhelming....

No comments: