Monday, January 9, 2012

Focused and intentional!

Focused and intentional. This is the discussion that ensued on Saturday morning as our small group got together. It was exciting to discuss how we are able to experience God's hand in our lives. From timely emails to the beginning steps to an end to pain. God is in our lives every minute of the day but this is the year to be focused on Him.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,

For our group, we are the cloud of witnesses to one another. We spur one another on and challenge one another to stay focused. But each one of us has a cloud of witnesses. People who challenge us. People who watch us. Those who have come before us, those dear saints of the church. The cloud of witnesses is endless.

let us throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles,
and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us...

I did my first 10K this past fall and the race was marked out for us. We knew the starting line and we knew the finish line. We went through areas of Omaha that Jon, Betsy's husband, informed me a person should normally not go in the dark of night. But it was marked. We were safe. The route was covered with security. It was also marked with clothes as runners grew warm and dropped their extra layers of clothing that hindered running their best.

As I thought about that, I realized that when I keep my eyes on the finish line, I can go through "places" that I would rather not go through but with the light of Christ and the goal in sight, I can successfully finish the race. I need to intentionally look at the things that hold me back and strip off the layers of sin keeping me from focusing on what He has for me.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith,
who for the joy set before him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Fix...keep your eye on the finish line...keep our eyes on Jesus...He has already gone through all of the places that we are moving through... Intentionally focus on Him. Intentionally focus on His presence and activity in our lives. That's what this is all about. He give us a reason for intentionally focus on Him...

Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men,
so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
~Hebrews 12:1-3

Growing weary and losing heart is at epidemic proportions right now. I, for one, want to intentionally focus on Him so that He will allow me to go through this life rested and encouraged.

No comments: