Monday, October 27, 2008

Relationships...

Any kind of relationship can be complicated. Friendships are compromised because there was a betrayal or a situation that resulted in a tear in the fabric of the relationship. Families are notorious for having complicated relationships. As a child, our family had its share of familial problems.
This past week Steve and I were at a graveside service. We knew that there were some issues between the father and son. The pastor asked if there was anyone who wanted to share some thoughts about their wife and mother. The husband, who had been married for 58+ years began speaking. He had only spoken for a few minutes when the son walked away from the service got in his truck and left. My heart hurt and I began thinking of some of the relationships that God has blessed me with.

Our daughters married and with that event, changed the make-up of our family. I am thrilled with their choices. God has given them the man that He chose, not the one that I would have chosen and because of that, the men that He has given them are the perfect match for them.

Relationships changed. Jane got a brother...and as you can see, they do get a long well. Jon understood Jane's love language and didn't take long to endear himself to her. Change was also seen when Andy entered our family. Jon went from being the only and favorite SIL to being my favorite Jon while Andy moved into my favorite Andy.


Jon's parents joined our "family" first. I can honestly say that this addition to our family has been an amazing gift from God. In the past 7 years they have grown to be dear friends who happen to pray for the same grandchildren that we pray for.. .




I think of the family that I "entered" and there were times when they showed me so much grace. I have grown to love each of them and look forward to our time together. I couldn't imagine my "family" without picturing them



Back to the graveside service... I had to wonder what could have happened to this family that caused the son and the father to be at such odds. When did it start? Did something happen when the son was younger? Was this a recent split?

I watch my grandson (and granddaughter) and their parents. I pray for the relationships that are developing there. I watch as they are engulfed in the extended family. I listen as others show their love for them. I pray that there isn't unresolved issues that will stunt or fragment the relationship at any time.



God has given us precious sisters, brothers, friends, parents...He has given us relationships that will challenge us and cause us to evaluate the path that He has laid out before us. God desires us to stimulate one another to grow closer to Him. When we are growing closer to Him, we can't help but love the ones He has placed in our path.

Relationships are not easy...it takes a great amount of give and take. It takes His hand on us. The family is one of the blessings that He has given us. Cherish each one of them...





























1 comment:

Valerie said...

Thanks for this Lois. Your words of Godly wisdom are so timely in my life as even as we speak I have two little girls trying to figure out what their relationship should be. ( You know 1 minute they're screaming with glee the next mad as heck at each other.) This is a perfect reminder that I need to pray for the relationship. It's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for letting God use you today.