Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Omaha Nap time story...

Periodically, I will season my blog with stories that happened when I was in Omaha. This is one of them...believe me there are many.
Nap time in Omaha was sometimes a lengthy activity. Simon @ 3 1/2 doesn't think that he is tired many days. He also knows that if he keeps moving, he won't fall asleep. I finally figured out that if Simon laid down on the couch he was quiet. I was right there reading and he really couldn't get away with jumping and talking.
On this particular day, I decided that we should all try to sleep in the bedroom. Simon was determined that he was not tired and came over to me with my earplugs. "Nana, why don't you put these in." Said my Simon, bear as innocent and pure as the new fallen snow. When I told him that I really didn't need to use them, he was quiet for about a second, and said, "But why don't you put them in anyway."
What he wanted was what most of us wanted...he wanted to do his own thing. Thinking that the earplugs completely blocked my hearing, he would be free to do whatever he wanted. We think that if we sneak around or keep moving, God doesn't see us. We are somehow a blur in his sight. We try to pacify him and block him out by filling up our days with things that keep us busy.
What He desires most is for us to be on the couch with Him. He wants us to cease our struggling and to rest in His Word and His peace. Today, crawl up on the couch with the Savior. Don't fill the time with anything but seeking His presence in your day. WOW...that's all I can say is ...WOW. What an amazing time of rest that will be for you. It is for me.

No comments: