Monday, October 13, 2008

Now Job...He had problems....


Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount
Zion,
which cannot be shaken but endures forever.
As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the Lord surrounds his people
both now and forevermore.
~Psalm 125:1-2



That verse started me thinking of the news that has filled the media lately. God is surrounding us. That brought me to Job and I wondered if I could learn a lesson from Job. So this isn't an indepth study. It is only my thoughts that began in my devotions this morning.
Job's family was close. He worried about his children. He saw behaviors that concerned him and he prayed for them and offered sacrifices. He was wealthy. He had a lot of blessings. He had a lot of possessions, but he also knew that it was not the blessings of the tangible that caused him to worship the One True God. He had a protective "hedge around him and his household and everything he has." I wonder if we looked, if we would see a hedge around us.


But the hedge was to be ripped out. Servans came and told Job that theSabeans attacked and killed his oxen and donkeys; another announced that the sheep had been destroyed by fire from the sky; his camels and those servants the Chaldeans took care of them. But then a blow that would have devistated me...his children and their servants had been destroyed by wind. A tornado? It just says "a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house."


What would your response have been? There were 2 groups of people who would have had to deal with my wrath and blame: The Sabeans and the Chaldeans! It would have been easy to seek revenge. What did he do? He fell to the ground in worship. "Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.

And God's evaluation of Job? There is no one like him, he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you [Satan] incited me against him without reason. I know you have all heard this story but it stood out to me. What is my life's responses like? Do I blame? Do I hold grudges? What is my reaction to crisis situations? Then, what are the reactions of those who are losing so much on Wall Street? Those who are losing their homes? What would my reaction be? What would God say about me? Would I receive this high compliment from Him? Blameless? Upright? A woman who fears God and shuns evil? And what of my integrity?

The next test is one that spoke to me personally. Job-covered in boils, sitting in the position of mourning (in the ashes) and his helpmate comes to encourage him? She is the picture of the Proverbs 31 woman. No, she says, "curse God and die." Well, that certainly wouldn't make it in the Proverbs 31 list of what a woman should do. Encourage...do I always encourage my husband? Empathize with him...do I?


Job replied "You are talking foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God , and not trouble?"


What a testimony for me. Job had lost more than I have...I would have been angry and questioning why (I am not saying to question God is not right. If we have the questions, he knows, why not ask Him. We just have to be content not to get an answer now.) AND if I had someone to affirm my grievances (Job's wife) boy would I jump on that bandwagon and sought out the party who caused this grief...



But the most important lesson is...Those who trust in Yahweh are like Zion Mountain: Nothing can move it, a rock-solid mountain you can always depend on. ~ Psalm 125:1-2 (Message) It is God who is in control and I praise Him. Let me be found to be blameless, upright and with my integrity before His throne.


No matter what I face, Father, keep my eyes fixed on You and help me to know that You are in control. In your name. AMEN

No comments: