Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hello! Hello! Oh, it's you!

Have you ever run to the phone to answer it, expecting one person and hearing another voice? I always hope that the person on the other end didn't hear my disappointment.
Recently, Simon called. Steve answered and Simon began talking. Steve has a hard time understanding Simon on the phone. When we talk to him, I usually "translate" as only a former SLP would do.
Example:
S: We have a dog at our house and her name is Penny and she is a golden retriever.
Me: Oh, Penny is the golden retriever that lives with you. Is she a nice dog?
Steve then can ask questions about Penny until the topic shifts.
It has worked beautifully until last week.
Simon started in on his conversation with Poppa and with the speaker on, I started my "translation." Simon stopped and said, "Nana, I called to talk to Poppa." He knew who he wanted to talk to AND he was not going to be sidetracked by my translation ways.
The Psalms are filled with the phrase, I called to the Lord and He answered me. I was thinking about Simon and his determination to speak to the one whom he called. He was not to be dissuaded from his conversation from Poppa. Wouldn't it be great if when we called to the Lord, we would have the same determination? We would not let the world's voices crowd out hearing the voice of Jesus.
God never shows disappointment when I call to him. He never says, I want to talk to Poppa. He never says, oh, could you wait a minute. Whenever I call, He is attentive to my voice. My prayer today is that I, and we, will be able to hear the voice of God and be attentive to His voice.

No comments: