Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The quiet words of a child....

Do you see this child's face? He is an amazing little boy who can teach his Nana so many things. We can build with Legos. He has taken me to "puzzle school" because in his mind, it is just a matter of teaching that will allow me to put a puzzle together. He just doesn't get it that I can't even see the pattern. He has shown me forgiveness. He has given me love. He is considerate, patient, and the neatest little boy a Nana can have.
Now...is he this way all the time? No, he is a little boy.
Yesterday, he retaught me the power of prayer when life is spinning out of control.
There is one thing that I hate. When I am not in control of a situation. It seems that I am also a bit directionally challenged (my son-in-law would label this another way!) Yesterday, I had a very easy task...to help out Betsy and Jon. Take the truck, meet the bus, help the kids with their room, pick up supper, and come to the hospital...which is 6 minutes away from Boys Town.
Take the truck....check...
Help the kids with their room...I thought it would be fun to try a Mary Poppins/Boxcar children method of cleaning...turned out I am neither...Mary nor any of the Boxcar children...worked on their room, not fabulously successful...
Pick up supper...well, I added pick up flowers and that was easy, go to the grocery store and then on to 158th street (or 152, it was an exit) to pick up the food: Enter problem 1: couldn't find the grocery store...HyVee...it must have moved because I have been there a ton of times with Betsy. Oh, I decided to go on the search for Baker's Grocery Store. Yah, didn't find it. Drove...drove...looked...looked...drove...drove...you get the picture...life and control began to spin.
It was right about now, I realized my phone wasn't working. I took the battery out...a very Blackberry thing to do...3 times...and couldn't reboot. Only 45 minutes, we were in a reasonable time frame to get to the hospital....BAKERS in the distance...Burger King close...Q'doba...right there. Went to Q'doba first...I am getting ready to pay and Mazie shouts...NANA I HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM...took care of that...went back to the cash register and the man said, "hope your night goes better" Better? I had found the flowers, and was on the way with a great meal that Jon would love...better... HMMMMMM what did I look like at THAT point.
Battery out of phone....4 more times....Jane called, couldn't hear her...I could HEAR that I was getting texts but nothing else.
Now...flowers, food, backpacks for homework in hand...set out for the hospital. Remember...6 minutes away! Went East on Dodge. Took one route...wrong...reboot phone, retrace "steps", reboot phone, wrong route again, reboot phone, 1 hour 30 minutes out...NO PHONE...Betsy and Jon must be worried...SPINNING SPINNING SPINNING...Control GONE! Resorted to my normal response...began to cry...Mazie wanted to see my face to see if I was really crying...Reboot phone....retrace drive...bad section of town...going right toward downtown Omaha...crying!!!
So, at this point, I am OUT of CONTROL because I wasn't IN control..it is 2 hours and 15 minutes out and I was no where near getting to the hospital, my phone...I had decided was gone...Then I saw it...a VERIZON store. I stopped, got the kids out for the 4th time, still crying but trying to resemble a normal person (I don't look that normal when I have been crying for 45+ minutes) and ran into the store. The young man there was going to LET me sign in. I looked at him and burst into tears and said, "I am not from here, I am trying to get to the hospital to let these kids see their mom, their parents must be frantic and I need to call this number (the screen was now frozen on Jon's number)! He started to take the back off the back to which I may have yelled..."I have done that I have to use your phone and call that number. Don't take the battery out.....Do you have a cell phone? Call that number [punching the number on the face of the frozen screen.]
He called. I talked to Jon. In 15 minutes we were at the hospital (and it only too 2.5 hours to go the 6 minute route)
Now while all this drama was going on. Right before the Verizon store. I heard very quiet words coming from the back seat. I realized that this precious little boy was praying. I didn't catch all of the words because this was a prayer, not for his Nana's ears but for his Father's ears. He asked that I would be calm. He asked that I would find the hospital. He asked that God would give me help. It wasn't just a quick little prayer...it was a heart-felt cry out to the God whom he knew would hear and answer. When the quiet words stopped, there was a pause...and he quietly told his out of control Nana that he had prayed for me.
It should have been what I did. I am the adult. I know the power of prayer. I had placed my trust in things. I had placed my faith in technology.
Simon, my dear sweet grandson placed his trust where I should have...in the hands of the One who had control. When children speak, they sometimes speak the words of God. I love this little boy so much.
Oh, and if he read this...what he would see is that I called him a little boy. He would correct me and say, "Nana, I am not little." And he is right...his faith was way bigger than mine.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

CharlysVenner said...

What can we say? Isn't that why only those who are "as a child will inherit the kingdom of heaven"?!

Love you!!!!
Charly