Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dear Betsy and Jon

Dear Betsy and Jon,
You are on the plane and coming home today. I want to share some fears and thoughts with you. When I said I would be here for a week, I did have fears. I was afraid that the mothering skills that I had in the past would return and I would be impatient with the kids. I was afraid that I would count the hours until you were coming home. I was afraid that living in 720 square feet would send me over the edge. I was afraid to drive with the kids alone. I had nightmares of Lacy being run over by a car. I was afraid that one of the kids would get sick and I wouldn't be able to deal with it.
Let me begin by saying none of those fears were a reality. I know you are excited to come home and see your kids. I am excited for you to see them but a little part of me is sad that this experience is going to end. If it is possible, I love your kids even more than I did before. It has been a treat to be here. There has not been one moment that I wondered if I was going to make it.
I loved seeing Simon improve in TKD in just the 3 weeks that I watched him. He has really taken to the sport and is doing a good job of it. He is such a neat little boy. He really is a little man. He takes his responsibilities seriously and I love him so much. He has been my helper and teacher. When I had questions, I knew that Simon would know the answer. The things that he has said and the things that he has done while I was here will be a treasure trove for many years. What a blessing he is in our lives. He is so appreciative of things that you do for him and rarely forgets to thank people.
Miss Mazie. How do you even describe a delight like Mazie? We have had NO "No Kissing Nana Days!" Yesterday she said, "Nana, I don't want my mom and dad to come home...I want you to stay here with us." What a joy that after a week together we didn't feel like we could hardly wait until our time was over. She has caused me to giggle and burst with pride. She has been such a responsible little hearing aid wearer. She has her own fashion sense and I love it (She was forbidden to wear her rain boots today, 3 days to school was enough.) When she saw her clean room after school the first day she said, "Wow Nana...I love it." She loves to hide her sheets in the morning. She may have a few more dirty clothes because her clothes hamper is really special to her. Mazie makes people feel so special and her animals also make people feel so cared for.
Lacy is still alive at this writing. She has run. I have looked for her. I have cried and prayed that I would find her and she still insists on sleeping with me.
It hasn't been perfect. I have missed buses. Gotten hopelessly lost. Gotten to places late or on the stroke of on time. I have gotten lectured by the bus driver. I have been reminded about time from him SEVERAL times. I have set the alarms off and have had to have other family teachers come to the apartment to help me.
Thank you for this time. I loved this time. I loved going to TKD, to Graduation, to Fargo to spend time with Gma and Gpa and Jerod and Jane and Emma. It was fun to see Emma through the eyes of her cousins. I loved story time and movie time. I loved the little time we had to go outside. I loved bath time and snuggle time. I loved eating peanutbutter sandwiches with them and watching cartoons with them. I loved telling them stories and having them be so attentive and help me with the plot line. I loved every moment of the day. Thank you for going to Coco Rico and letting me stay here.
I love you and am excited for you to come home because I know that you have missed these little munchkins. I have to say, it will be hard for me to say good bye on Friday morning when I leave for Fargo.
Love, Nana, Lois, & Mom

No comments: