Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yogablog teaches moves...


I thought that I should walk you through a couple of exercises that we did in our yoga class. Now to make this an effective exercise for you, have someone read this while you do the moves unless you can find someone else to do the moves while you dictate. Whichever manner you choose, keep in mind that I am in my late 40's and doing these exercises.



Begin standing up and go into the "downward dog" pose (as seen above). Great. Now lower your knees to the ground (if you have a yoga mat, you should be using that...I really don't get the mat) You should end up in the "table top" position...okay, as a woman in her late 40's, why not just say...get on your hands and knees ladies!
Okay, here is where it gets tricky because I really can't find pictures of the next several moves..
Danica (the instructor) says: Thread your right arm between your left arm and leg.
What she means: Stick your arm under your stomach and have it come out the other side. Good grief, a woman who is in her early 50's would understand that.

Okay, now is when it gets tricky...
Danica says: Put your shoulder on the mat...
I pop up to see what she means by that...yep...put your shoulder on the mat.
Danica says: Rotate your shoulder until your shoulder blade is on the mat while lifting your right arm and raising it to the sky.
I pop up to see what she means by that...yep...she has her whole skinny little shoulder blade on the mat and doesn't look like she is in pain or is breaking anything...what have I, a mid-50's woman, have to lose? I rotated and heard cracks...Danica's face is angelic, mine (because of the joy of the mirrored room) is in a painful grimace which doesn't really do me much justice.

Danica says: Oh, feel the stretch, doesn't that feel so good? Now open it up some more...lift your chest, feel that wonderful stretch.
I pop up to see what she is doing to her body now. WOW...she really has opened up...with the same angelic face. Why is it that when you are dying of pain...the instructor always says...feel that stretch...doesn't that feel good? Who has the guts to say...NO, I am in pain and I want to stop...but who has consideration for a woman who is in her late 50's.
Danica says: Back to the table top position and let's do it on the other side.
I say: Oh doodie doodie dumbdrop, let's do it again.
Oh, this is the easier of the 2 exercises...stay tuned for yogablob to teach you another one later....

No comments: