Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Thrive Comes to Ferndale...


In January, a new gym opened in Ferndale. I joined in October and gave Steve a present of a membership in November so it was an anticipated event! We were going to get physically phit!
(Here is an aside to my membership to gyms ... I paid my membership to the YMCA for 2 years or was it 3 and never darkened the door.) That was not going to happen with this gym.



We have been faithful...consider my past...and we go about 3 times a week. In May a friend, Michelle, and I decided that we would join the gym's classes. They have some great classes and the classes have fun names. She has gone to butts and gutts but I haven't...


We have had some great fun experiences...but I have to say some of them are not so fun. Here is a question...whose idea was it that thought it was a GOOD idea to encase the room with floor to ceiling MIRRORS????????? Well, we have floor to ceiling mirrors...and so when you are exercising, you get to watch yourself. In our cases we get to see ourselves look like...yes, Bob the Tomato! If we were to take our pictures, this is the color that we would be! So...that is one of the perks that we got when we started classes.


I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I have always thought of myself as someone who has a bit of rhythm...NOT SO! One of the classes that we went to was Latin Groove. Being an avid watcher of Dancing with the Stars, I knew that I could do those moves if only Steve would want to take dance lessons. NOT SO! As a teacher, I know that when you have a student who doesn't get it...you move so that you are in close proximity and stay there until you think he/she gets it and then move on. Betty (her real name) would move to 2 of the students in the class and go through all of the moves while leading the rest of the class verbally because of course the sluggards in the class are always in the back row. She would stay by those two until she thought that they had it and then move away. By the end of the class, she just stayed with us. No we never really got it but we were both soaking wet! And, much to Betty's surprise, we are going back tonight....

Then we went to yoga. We did all of the poses and thought...yeah, this really didn't do anything until the next day and we realized that it touched on muscles that we hadn't known about. So last night I went with another teacher. My, who knew that Yoga from one could be so different. I'm not saying that this was a picture of me...but it is what I felt like when I looked in the mirror...I decided to call that class...Yogablob because looking in the mirror that is what I thought I looked like compared to the 2 cheer girls who were...maybe 19 and were complaining that they had not done any moves like that since....well, HIGH SCHOOL. Yogablob just kept her mouth shut.

The greatly anticipated gym ... oh, I like it. I know it's good for me. And the mirrors tell me I need it. But...maybe I am not as young as I think I am...
Yogablog...just keep on going....




No comments: