Friday, September 2, 2011

Another Amazing Opportunity we had....

A couple of weeks ago, we had the opportunity to attend all of the festivities of our neighbor's daughter's wedding.




Our neighbors are East Indian and we were invited to all of the festivities. I had opportunity to ask so many questions and it was such a privilege to experience their traditions. At one point, one of the ladies asked if I had ever attended an Indian wedding. They reported that it was the most traditional wedding that they had ever attended.

On Thursday, the bride receives her henna tattoos. If you look at her arms and her legs in the video, you can see the intricate design that she has. On Friday morning they rub saffron cream over her body to prepare her for her wedding day. That night there was a party. In traditional Indian weddings, the groom would come from another tribe and these times with the bride's family were very important. It may be the last time she sees her family so it was a time of joy and sorrow for her family. The groom also has parties with his family but these parties do not meet until the wedding. This was a party that was celebrating the family unit!

On Saturday morning, the bride and her family and friends gather for the "snack." a>

All of a sudden there is an announcement that the bridegroom is coming and everyone rushes from the temple to greet the groom. The groom comes with his face covered until the gifts from the brides family are given to his family. Then, the bride's family and friends make room for the groom and his family for their "snack" time.

At the time when it is complete, we took off our shoes, covered our heads, and washed our hands to enter into the temple.

The bride comes in with her brother and father, her mother follows behind. They are surrounded by women who are there to minister to their needs.


The brides father drapes one part of a red sash over the shoulder of the groom and ties his daughter's hands together.
During parts of the service, the bride is led around the altar by her husband and given words of wisdom from her brother and her male cousins. The ceremony ends and there is great celebration with food and music.

As I watched all of these festivities, I could not help but make a comparison of this wedding to the wedding of the Lamb. As believers, we should be ready and always preparing to receive our Groom in Christ. The henna tattoos are beautiful, but the "tattoos" that our Father loves to see is the acts of worship and service that we do for Him daily.

As the announcement of the bridegroom was called and many of the people rushed out to see the groom, there were those who hung back, whether for age, boredom, or just not interested in the festivities, I don't know. It was easy to compare this with my faith.

We take off our shoes because we will be standing on Holy ground. We cover our heads as a sign of respect to our God and Savior for what He has done for us. He will give us new clothes that will be those of the righteous ones.

The wedding, one of purity and love, will be performed. There will be joy. When the groom led the bride around, my first inclination was...oh, no...then, the more I thought of the groom being Jesus, the more I realized that this should be my posture with Him. Submissive and following closely behind Him, not getting ahead of His plans for me.

It was an experience. I loved being there, but my heart also broke as I realized that god was placed under blankets in an altar...how I praise my God that He is alive, not relegated to a particular place but is with me and in me and He surrounds me with His presence. How I praise Him for this reminder of His love for me as we sat and experienced a Hindu wedding

PS...I have no idea why I am purple and underlined????? AND I had a movie with lots more pictures...if I figure out how to upload it...I'll upload it later.

No comments: