Saturday, August 20, 2011

Blueberry season...............

It is blueberry season and out here...berries flourish! They are huge and sweet and so much fun to pick. Part of the picking is the eating while you are picking. They lost money on Michelle and I. I had to keep checking that I still liked blueberries. What a better way than to check every bush...okay, so sometimes I checked if the blueberries were good on each branch. What can I say?
This year felt a little different. For the first 3 years, Betsy and Jon and the kids were here for fair week and to pick the berries.
Simon and Mazie LOVE blueberries. One year, Mazie must have been about 11 months and we went picking and we set her down on the grass between the bushes where we were picking. All of a sudden, we realized that she had eaten ALL of the berries in the tray that was under the bushes. We moved her and she saw the bucket of blueberries...we moved her. Her little hands were moving those Blueberries into her mouth faster than a flash. Then she saw the bush...oh my...no stopping her.

Simon, on the other hand, is a serious picker. He didn't eat any because he had a bucket to fill. My picture of him, very serious, picking the berries one at a time and dropping them into the bucket is so precious.

Last year, Jon's mom, Betty and I went out. We picked 2 huge pails...about 25 pounds of berries...and you may remember...they went home with her!

This year as a friend, Michelle and I were picking, these pictures flashed across my mind like a slide show. I started to cry....so much that I had to use my t shirt to dry my eyes so I could SEE the berries I was picking. I was also laughing because I felt silly that I was crying....it's me!

I had pulled it together when the lady in the next row call, "Emma, I am over here!" and I lost it again. Our little Emma hasn't picked blueberries yet.

As the slide show was playing in my head, I was reminded of how thankful I am for the mind and heart pictures of our family. Not all of the pictures are clear and pleasant, there have been times when we were out of focus and silly. We have had times of stress and times of heartache but those times are precious because they are wrapped in the presence of God.

I am so humbled by the men (my sons-in-law are amazing) and women of God that they are becoming. They continue to grow in His love and the awe of His Word. His wisdom rests on them and they trust in Him. They are raising our grandchildren to know the presence and the love of Christ.

I cried because I did miss them and it is one of the things in this move that has been difficult to be away from them but God shows me over and over that there are reasons for me to be here in Ferndale. The tears in the blueberry bushes this week, were tears of joy and sadness. Joy for the adventure He continues to guide us in and sadness to be away from our family.

I praise Him for His plan is the plan we seek to follow. I praise Him for the family that He has given me. And...I praise him for the blueberries!

PS....both families got their blueberries yesterday. Monday...we are going back out to pick more fresh blueberries...this time they go to the freezer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And your sweet Emma loves them. She would definitely use the Mazie approach to getting them. Or, more realistically, she would crawl over to the bush, pull up and eat the leaves, twigs and berries. She isn't overly discerning and can be a bit of a bulldozer.