Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 1: Nana and Poppa babysit in Omaha...

When Jon left for 10 days this past year, Betsy wrote to him every day on the blog about the things that happened during her day....I decided I would write Betsy and Jon each day....
Day 1:
Dear Betsy and Jon,
This morning, Mazie came to bed and said, Nana I'm hungry and I want a snack. I said, oh Maz let's just cuddle. So, she cuddled and soon she was fast asleep. Later, Simon came in and said, Nana can I eat. He wasn't up for that whole...let's cuddle ploy. So we went to the kitchen for breakfast.
Steve said, so what time does Simon go to school?
I said, the bus comes at 8:03. What time is it?
Steve: 8:05
Ooops....so breakfast and I jumped in the truck. I had taken Simon to school before and knew where it was. First mistake. I could not find that school. we looked and looked...and Simon said that he didn't know where it was...you have to know that he has an internal GPS like his father! After about 10 minutes that seemed like an hour...Simon informed me that when his mom got this lost, she just took him home and he stayed home that day!!!!! LUCKILY, we turned the corner and there it was....
Then, it was time for me to go back home. I circled that development for another 10-15 minutes before I found the right street to get back to Boys Town. When I told Jane, she said, Not a very responsible thing to do.
Tonight when I put Simon to bed he said, "Nana, mom usually wakes me so I can eat breakfast, get dressed and ride the bus." I assured him that I would be more on the ball tomorrow.

Later in the day, I broke Rule #1!!!! When I said I would babysit, I told Jon that when his dog ran away, I would NOT go looking for her. She would have to come home on her own or the police would have to call me.
Today, Steve came in and said, Lacy is on the lamb again. I said, don't worry about her, she will come home when she is ready.
I would check. I made sure the gate was open. I would call: Lace Here (in my deepest Jon voice because she doesn't respond to shrieking.) Nothing....absolutely nothing. Time passed....no dog. More time passed...no dog. Did I mention that it was RAINING????????????? Finally, I grabbed Jon's jacket and his baseball hat and went out looking for her. I found her in their old yard staring at the shed. She came home, wet and stinky.

So, for a time she was tied to the front door to dry off. If only that would help. Later I noticed that she would run out the door, look at both gates and walk back into the house slowly with a (I'm sorry I have to use the expression...) hanged dog look about her. Seriously? You check the gates?
For today, I looked. We'll see what happens tomorrow...It is hard to be tough on someone who thinks that you are worthy of cuddling with on a couch.
Otherwise...I think we did okay....Tomorrow...well, you'll have to check back tomorrow for our plans. Suffice it to say, we do have a birthday to celebrate!!!!

No comments: