Sunday, March 14, 2010

Predictable genetics???

You have heard the expression that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
And if you planted a blueberry bush, you would not be expecting it to produce strawberries...If you did, you probably need a horticulture class. It just doesn't work that way. Even scripture tells us that what you plant in the ground will grow...and to be honest in most things...it is a good thing...

As our children grow it is fun (and sometimes not so fun) to see how and what they mimic in our behavior. As our daughter, Jane, grew, it was interesting that even as a little girl, people would tell me (and Jane) that she was exactly like me. In fact, Jane heard this so many times that she asked me one time, "Mom, people say I am just like you, is that a good thing?" Keep this in mind for the next story!
On several occasions when I have been traveling, I have missed my flight .
The first time, I was at my nephew's wedding and I was 12 hours late...am and pm are so close!
Another time, I got in my head that I was leaving Sunday and not Saturday. When I tried to check in on Saturday, I couldn't and I was a little miffed when I contacted the airlines...although I tried to keep my voice "nice." .... thankfully I did, because I was a day late. I was to leave on Saturday... That time it cost me a whole NEW ticket. Expensive mistake...yes!

When these things happen to me, I can be seen crying and muttering..."idiot, idiot, I am such an idiot." It is not one of the better traits that I care to pass on to our children. Stress alone makes it an unpleasant experience for everyone involved. Steve is usually the one who gets to pick up the pieces but both of the girls have also had to help me...and other dear friends have encouraged me...and I do not think that this behavior is contageous or it is a viable trait that passes through the genes...

Last week I spent time with Jane. She picked me up at the Fargo airport at 7:00 pm and when I left, Steve was going to pick me up in Seattle at 7:00 pm. I think that this is an important part of the story...stay with me...
On Friday, Andy and Jane headed to the airport for a much needed time of relaxation for Andy and a conference for Jane in Florida (where the snow is not deep and the moose do not turn blue because they are so cold)...
Off to the airport they went, getting there by 5:15 with plenty of time to spare to catch their flight at 7:00pm (do you see what I mean about the time being significant?). They went to check in their bags (they had already checked in on line so they had their bording passes--for those of you who think this makes a difference...it doesn't)...There, at the ticket counter they learned...their flight had taken off at 4:15. Their names had been called but they had missed their flight.
When Jane called and told me, my heart went out to her. I asked her if she was crying? Answer: Yes. I asked her if she had called herself an idiot? Answer: Many times.
I think what was most discouraging to her about missing her flight was that her master plan to put me into a care unit because of memory failure, has now been put on hold.
I love my girls. I love when I see them doing things that I have taught them...
Following Jesus, loving His Word, making great choices, giving Him praise, cooking, sewing, encouraging their husbands...and the list could go on...
I really wish that this "forgetfulness" was not something that has been placed in their genes...but I have to remember that:
God loves us, He has a plan for us, and sometimes, that plan is not our plan, it humbles us and makes us realize that we cannot do anything without Christ.
Jane is in Florida now...a day late and a missed massage. Andy will leave on Tuesday instead of last Friday...they will have a shortened time in Florida...but God's plan is always the best for all of us.

No comments: