Friday, March 5, 2010

Las Vegas...Hawaii...The Olympics...and Fargo, ND

When I left Ferndale, our crocus, tulips, daffodils, camellias and the fruit trees and tulip trees were blooming. I had been to Las Vegas and Hawaii where the weather was fabulous. I took the bus to Seatac on Tuesday and boarded a plane to Fargo...and yes, I have seen the movie.
This is the famous Red River that made headlines last spring and may well make headlines this spring. The mayor was on the news explaining what they were planning for the upcoming spring and flooding. 5,000 sand bags a day is their goal. My heart goes out to the people who have stood against this river for years and continue to battle to keep their homes and land.

The snowmen are a little more elaborate! This is outside the theater. Here they carve snow like we carve sand in the pacific northwest.
Jane thought that I should be climbing Fargo's version of Mount Baker. It is really a HUGE pile of snow that has been pushed off of the parking lot. I even made a bit of a snow man...

But I didn't come for the river, the snow, the mountains of snow or the cold. I came because Jane was going to have surgery on Thursday.
I am so glad that I am here. I don't know how much help I have been because she really is very organized. It has been fun. It has been cold. I was able to connect with a friend that I hadn't seen for a very long time. We skyped with Betsy, Simon, and Mazie and swapped jokes.* Had dinner with friends that are really more of a family.
It has been a good few days and I don't leave for another couple of days.
So...from the frozen north....God bless each of you. He gives us days and experiences to enjoy, enjoy them to the fullest and thank Him for them.
*Simon: Why did the hamburger cross the road?
Jane and Nana: Why?
Simon: To ketchup with the french fries.
Mazie: Knock knock
Jane and Nana: Who's there?
Mazie: French fries
(Roll on the couch laughing. Simon is 5; Mazie is 4. When you are 4, humor is a bit different!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Mazie is only 3.5.