Friday, February 12, 2010

Our week in Hawaii...

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Hawaii 2
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow
We are back from a week in America's 50th state! We flew in last Thursday. By the time we landed, Steve had a sinus infection. We just found our resort and had a quick lunch and enjoyed walking and stretching our legs after our 7.5 hour trip to Hawaii from Salt Lake City.

Friday: We went to the beach, enjoyed a book, the sand, and the sun. Steve was feeling worse but of course did not want to go to the doctor!! And when he was asked, he was always fine...but he really looked awful.

That day, we were in the elevator and met a man from Lynden and we knew his kids...

Saturday: We wanted to go to Pearl Harbor but at 10:00 when we got to talk to Kona the tour scheduler...she told us we would have to be loading the shuttle by 6 am...so...we went on a whale watching tour, saw several pods of humpback whales. We didn't see any of them breaching but saw many blows and tails... We saw a mom and her baby...she would blow and then the baby would blow...it was fun watching her train her baby....

Sunday: Much to the dismay of Kona, we went to church on the beach. FIRST we went to the doctor...then to the only mall that was open to get meds for Steve...then we went to church. At church the pastor talked about ND. Well, afterwards, we figured out that Steve had known him when he was a kid, I had his mother as my special ed. secretary for years, Steve had his nieces and nephews as students....small world...

Later that night we went on a sunset lobster/beef dinner. I am not cool. The whole lobster came on my plate, which made me want to take it home as a pet...but it wasn't alive. When the waiter asked me if I needed help, I said, Yes...oooooooooo....this is where I am not sophisticated...I just about died. I had never had whole lobster...for those of you who have, you are laughing...for those of you don't know...take it from me...avoid the green and ask for the lobster tail only!!!! GROSS.

Monday: We went on a tour of the island. Saw the sea turtles, various beaches, the Dole plantation where we learned that it takes 20 months for the first pineapple to grow and the plant will then produce 2-3 other pineapples in 12-18 months...no wonder it tends to be expensive.

Tuesday: Polynesian Cultural Center which was an experience. It was a learning experience but it was fun too.

Wednesday: Pearl Harbor, the flea market, and snorkeling. The bay had some great fish but one of the things that you were supposed to do is swim with a partner. I didn't have a partner, so I spent a little time in a fairly limited spot...Dinner at the Shorebird, where you order your meat, and then when it is brought to your table RAW, you go to the grill...and grill your own.

Thursday: Up early, said Aloha to Oahu and headed for home. It only took 4.5 hours to fly to Seattle because it was a direct flight.

Today...I was reflecting on our trip. I thought about what I had learned and what we had seen. Although it was a wonderful trip, it is good to be home. It was beautiful. But God's creation in every area of this world that He has created is beautiful from the barren deserts to the lushness of the rain forests. I am just thankful that He has given it to us to enjoy.

1 comment:

Tengesdal 4 said...

Looks like so much fun :) Yay!!! Welcome back to the world of Olympics!!