Monday, March 21, 2011

Memories that just pop up and surprise you....

Yesterday our pastor challenged up to read the four gospels to be completed on Good Friday. This morning Steve and I began our reading when all of a sudden I had a complete "mental video" that was playing in my mind. [I was still listening...promise]

As we began in Matthew I was transported back to the 3rd grade. You see in our church ALL 3rd graders were given a Bible from the church. We were told by the pastor that if we "wore" out our Bible because of lots of use, we would get a new Bible. I was determined to get a new Bible. Yep, as I walked back to my seat carrying my brand new Bible, I was already plotting how I could get a new one!!!

It was a book so you always begin at the beginning...Genesis. It didn't take too many chapters before I realized that I shouldn't have started there. It just plain confused me. So, I knew that there was the Old and the New Testament and if I couldn't read the Old Testament, surely the New Testament would be better. I started in Matthew...I underlined every verse I read. Yep! Every VERSE! Remember, I had a plan and I had to make this Bible look used before I would get the new one.

I made it through Matthew...started with Mark and thought...I just read this...so I skipped that book, but NOT until I had marked random passages.

Luke...hmmmmm....this is the same story too!!!! [I wasn't a Bible scholar believe me. Obviously, I didn't get the 4 Gospels]. I skipped to John and thought--Man, this is the same thing over and over! I quit reading the Bible and NEVER wore out that Bible. [I did find underlining in Acts so I must have tried that book out too or else just continued my underlining.]

When I first became a believer I already knew the whole Bible trap so I started reading in 1 Corinthians. I remember being shocked because it wasn't the same. It was filled with practical daily living skills!!!! Since that time, my Bibles have seen some really tough use but now all of the notes and underlines are treasures and part of my life. I would not want to trade in my Bible because I would miss the verses that have my girls' name written beside a verse...or a prayer written for our grandchildren with a date. Sometimes it is more cryptic..."Yes" and the date or just the date. Instead of reading to wear out the Bible to get a new one, when I come to a place where there is a notation...I wonder at the faithfulness of God throughout our lives! Promises from Him; praises to Him; and prayers that He had answered.

It always amazes me when memories just pop up triggered by some random thought. I think that's why I like memories! They are random and unexpected and some can bring a smile to my face and in my mind. In this case, my outlook on a new Bible has changed...which is good that the little 3rd grader with a plan has grown up...

No comments: