Friday, November 21, 2008

A Leaf and a flood of memories and Simon

Have you ever done something that seemed insignificant at the time, only to find out that the significance is really an awesome touch from the Master?

Last week we went to church at Boys Town. After church (which could be a whole blog subject) Simon, Steve and I were walking to the place where Jon and Betsy were working.

Simon saw an oak leave and had to pick it up. He gave it to me and I slipped it in my Bible and told him that every time I saw it, I would remember him. Then he found one for Mazie, Jon, and Betsy. Then he picked up one for good measure. All of the leaves went into my Bible.

This morning I was doing my devotions and there was the leaf. I saw it as a gift from God. Because of that one little leaf, I thought of the leaf walk that we had taken and that I told Simon that I would think and pray for him when I saw it.

That leaf brought back many memories and here are some of them:
* Simon telling Poppa..."I am so glad that you came to visit us.
* Simon asking us...why can't you live here.
* Simon's eyes when his dad or poppa threw him into the pool.
* His squeals when his dad came to the door and Simon knew that he would be tickled and wrestled with.
* His eyes when he went to school. He was so excited that he was going to start school.
* His rapt attention when we read stories and his desire to "read another chapter."
* Sleeping with him and having him play with my hair.
* Watching him jump and scream when he got his camera..."I love it. I really wanted this. I got a camera."
* Listening to his vocabulary and his stories...some real and others from his fantastic imagination.
* Cuddling with him before nap and after nap time.

I could go on and on with the memories that flooded my mind just seeing the leaf that was placed in my Bible by a little boy in a seemingly insignificant act. So, thank you Simon for the leaf. Thank you for all of the wonderful love that you have given us. How I praise God for you. My prayer for you is that you will grow to be a man who is not afraid to kneel before the Savior and humble yourself before your God.

I could go on and on because there are complimentary memories of Mazie. Then there are all of the memories of my girls when they were growing up. God is so good. It was the beginning of devotions. I was set to praise Him for the wonders that He has given to us...and then, He gave me a leaf.

God is amazing and awesome.

No comments: